Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I am a Flying Pig...

This past Sunday I was able to scratch one of my New Year's resolutions off of my list...I ran Cincinnati's Flying Pig Marathon!


Yesireee...I ran all 26.2 of the miles that it took me to get from the start to the finish. Although my goal was to finish in under 4 hours (I finished in 4 hours and 1 minute) I was still excited to have ran it nonetheless! (Don't you worry though...I will crush that 4 hour mark sooner or later:)


I have to give a huge shout out to my AWESOME husband who ran the marathon with me every step of the way. He encouraged and reassured me at all the right times. He knew when to make the conversation light hearted and knew when to keep it to himself :) Without him I never in my life would have considered running a marathon and never would have actually followed through with it! His drive is contagious...one of the many things I love about him! Thank you Jeff!...the last one to Boston is a rotten egg!


Several of my friends in our neighborhood were running the PIG as well so I decided to make up some little goodie bags (filled with runner type snacks) for them to wish them good luck...and of course a card!


These were not necessarily fuel for running...but a sweet treat when all was said and done. They're pink chocolate pigs!



Get it??? GU-d luck!

Overall I really enjoyed training for this marathon. Sure some of the runs were painful (getting up for a 5:00 a.m. run after dealing with a newborn during the night, running in snowy streets, the dreaded treadmill for a 16 mile run, dehydration, sore legs, chaffing...in unspeakable places, the hidden dog in someones yard that jumps out and scares the crud out of you, etc.) but the sense of accomplishment as I checked off the miles each week closing in on the marathon keeps me coming back. Will there be another marathon??? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Well, that's all for now...

PS - I'll be sure to post the picture from the marathon finish when I get it!

2 comments:

Judy1223 said...

Shane, that is AWESOME! Congratulations on completing your first marathon! I laughed out loud at the cute cards you made (GU-d Luck! Ha!) because my DH uses that stuff for his triathlons sometimes. I love going to his races (and pretty much any type of road race) as I used to be a runner a long time ago. My brother did the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. and we all went to cheer him on...so exciting! Anyway, I can't wait to see some pics from your race. How lucky to have your DH with you all the way...good for him, too!

Unknown said...

congrats shane...great job and i love the treats you made! :)