Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Holy zucchini...

Almost everyday the kids and I will head down to our garden and check out the status of our fruits and vegetables. Yesterday I was treating the garden with fertilizer because little bugs (not exactly sure what) are feasting on our strawberries and eating at the leaves of our pumpkin and zucchini plants. As I was spraying each plant I discovered that our zucchini plants were producing after all. (Apparently I wasn't looking close enough...really my eyes had to be completely shut to miss these three suckers!)

The kids were so excited! They each were running around the yard with their zucchini shouting, "Our zucchinis are growing!"...it was quite humorous.

For dinner I decided to cook up one of the zucchinis. I quickly found out that none of my kids like zucchini...which kind of stinks because I put about 20 zucchini plants in the garden, so we're going to have a lot of zucchinis to eat. (Maybe zucchinis will be the party favor for the Beer Olympics this year...hahaha!) Anyway...I completely enjoyed it! Here's my own little creation I did...

  • Heat one tablespoon of Canola oil in a skillet
  • Slice zucchini and add to skillet
  • Add one clove of garlic (I use the minced garlic in the jar)
  • Saute until tender
  • Remove and coat with Sweet Italian dressing (Marzetti's)

Look out Rachel Ray...hahaha! Like I said, I enjoyed it...but is this just the pregnancy talking??? My true test will be when I make this for Jeff...you know him, he says it like it is:)

I skipped the dressing for the kids...but maybe they would have like it better with it. So, if anyone has some recipes for zucchini, feel free to pass them along. My ultimate goal is to have my kids loving zucchini by the end of the summer.

Well, that's all for now...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love Zucchini. The way we prepare it is...
Cut each zucchini in half, then cut each half into quarters length-wise. On a cookie sheet place the zucchini and drizzle olive oil over to cover them. Season with salt and pepper. Place zucchini in the oven with the rack placed so that it is an inch or two away from the broiler. Cook for 6-7minutes at 500. We cook our asparagus this way too.

Mel