Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Getting organized...

Those of you who know me know that I crave organization in my life. I have found the more that you have going on in your life the more organized you want/need to be. Having 4 kids with a 5th on the way I think definitely has me wanting to be organized more than ever.

When I returned from my scrapbooking weekend I had zero desire to put everything I took with me back to where it belonged...mostly because the space where it all belonged was one cramped bookshelf. You know what I'm talking about...where everything has an exact spot and to get to something you have to move 10 other things.Unfortunately I don't have that magical craft room in my house that is just for me and all my crafts. Nope...I have one bookshelf in our den to house all my creativity. Anyway, as I was looking at my unpacked stuff (which by the way somehow doubles when you travel) I kept thinking there has to be some way for me to store all of my things without shoving it on one shelf.

It was then that I decided to add another bookshelf to our den. I looked online at Target's website, found a shelf I liked that matched our office furniture, located the store that had it in stock, picked it up with 3 of the 4 kids, brought it home, and put it together all by myself. (I should fill you in that Jeff is out of town...so I have complete say over this addition...hahaha!)

I'm happy to say that in one short hour (with all 4 kids awake...granted the big kids were playing the Wii downstairs...but I had Mary Kate in my hip pocket ) I successfully put together this shelf.
I think an hour is a little long, but here were some of the obstacles that I had to overcome throughout the process.

When things got quiet I went looking for Mary Kate and here is the first place I found her...playing in the pantry (I didn't take a picture of the entire box of juice pouches and basket of napkins that she unloaded in the family room.)
Again, things got quiet...this time I got a little nervous because when she hides, she doesn't make a sound. She totally gets the game of hiding...and this was a great hiding spot. (Notice her little fingers sticking out from under the curtain.)

So, after the game of hide~n~seek and putting the pantry back together (plus cleaning up all the styro-foam Mary Kate picked apart and littered all over the house) I now have two shelves with all of my scrapbooking goodies all to myself. I even have space to spare on each shelf...whatever should I buy to fill that spot???...hahaha


I know, not the most exciting post...but I feel better...and I know that my other freakishly organized friends will appreciate the calmness I now have:)
Also, I need to give a big thanks to my friend Sarah for helping me move the small piece of furniture that was a huge annoyance in our den. Don't worry folks...it wasn't heavy.
Well, that's all for now...

1 comments:

Heather Ruwe said...

i am so impressed. i think you may have super powers. :)